The Gemstone League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL]

4 posters

Go down

Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL] Empty Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL]

Post by NiGHTS Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:07 pm

Alright, this'll be Gemstone's unofficial Pokemon of The Week, for now at least. I will try to get them out by Friday, but since Crystal is on..."vacation," it may be longer. Anyway, thanks to TCoZ for the linking.

#424 Ambipom
NiGHTS
NiGHTS

Back to top Go down

Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL] Empty Re: Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL]

Post by NiGHTS Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:08 pm

Name: Ambipom
Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL] Dpmfa424Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL] Dpffa424
HP:75/ATK:100/DEF:66/SPATK:60/SPDEF:66/SPD:115

Summary:
The first Pokemon of the Week is Ambipom. Alright, I'd like to start by saying that there are 2 people writing this, NiGHTS and Crystal. And we both LOVE this Pokemon. It's cute, full of character, purple, and great fun to use. More to the point, this BL Monkey is very versitile. He has many useful moves including Fake Out, Baton Pass, and he's one of the few blessed with Technician and Nasty Plot, despite limited stats to use it. Also, I recommend trying for a male one if you intend to use it on PBR, the long hair looks freaky. Alright, onto the movesets…

Ability: Technician; A rare and useful trait, it boosts the power of moves with a base power of 60 or less by 50%. A 60 base power move would become 90 base power, for example.

"Doublepom" @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Focus Sash
Jolly/Adamant - Technician
252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP

~Double Hit/Return
~Fake Out
~Aerial Ace/Brick Break/U-turn
~Aerial Ace/Brick Break/U-turn

The standard Ambipom, Fake Out is a sadistic move, it always goes first, and flinches the opponent; on Ambipom, it benefits from STAB and Technician, so with Life Orb Fake out deals a potentially crippling blow to most things that don't resist it.

With Double Hit hitting twice, the base power after STAB and Technician is a total of 157.5, where as Return is 153, it's really up to preference; Double Hit is a signature move of Ambipom, and has higher base power as well as hits through subs, but it has 90% accuracy and Ambipom can't usually afford to miss. Return is more reliable, but is weaker and does not hit through subs. Though there are occasions in which Return is more powerful, it tends to come down to the opponent’s DEF, but Double Hit is usually the better choice.

The last two slots are up in the air, and basically come down to type coverage. Aerial Ace hits Ghosts neutrally, and has a nice 90 base thanks to Technician, it also provides coverage against Grass, Bug and Fighting Pokemon. Brick Break hits Steels and Rocks which resist your STAB attack, Aerial Ace and Fake Out. And U-turn is usefull for Fake Out hit and run. Pick whatever you think covers the most.

"Passingpom" @ Leftovers
Jolly/Timid
252 speed/252 HP/6 ATK or SPATK

~Swift/Double Hit
~Substitute
~Nasty Plot/Aerial Ace/Brick Break
~Baton Pass

With a wonderful speed of 115, Ambipom makes a decent baton passer, and is one of the few Pokemon given Nasty Plot and Baton Pass.

Swift if you're Nasty Plotting, Double Hit if you're not, Substitute is a nice thing to pass if you can get it in safely, giving the passee a free turn to do whatever.

Aerial Ace or Brick Break on the non-Nasty Plot set for type coverage, and Baton Pass is a given.

"Last Resort" @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Focus Sash
Jolly/Adamant - Technician
252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP

~Last Resort
~Fake Out

This is a pretty simple set, Last Resort is a powerfull STAB move that only works after all the other moves in a Pokemons set have been used, in this case there is only one other, which is Fake Out. This is set isn't very good though, as Ghosts, Rocks and Steels stop it dead in its tracks.

Countering Ambipom: It's not hard, as most of the sets have nothing much to combat ghosts. Dusknoir is a good counter, being immune to Double Hit, Fake out and Brick Break, and taking little damage from U-turn.
Metagross and Forretress wall all of its moves, while taking neutral damage from Brick Break, and Rotom has the mentioned immunities, while being resistant to Aerial Ace, though it needs to be wary with its low defences.

See ya next time!

~By Crystal and NiGHTS

Last edited by on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 7 times in total
NiGHTS
NiGHTS

Back to top Go down

Post by UntouchableJon Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:53 pm

I didn't know ambipom was Border line
UntouchableJon
UntouchableJon

Back to top Go down

Post by The Claw of Zangoose Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:44 am

Well, it's certainly not OU from the uses it gets.
The Claw of Zangoose
The Claw of Zangoose
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NiGHTS Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Name: Raikou
Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL] Dpmfa243
HP:90/ATK:85/DEF:75 /SATK:115/SDEF:100/SPD:115

Summary:
The next PoTW is the legendary and rare dog, Raikou. Unfortunately, Crystal is still on vacation, so I’ll be doing this by myself. Anyway, this guy has average HP, barely less than average ATK and DEF, and high Special stats, making him an ideal Calm Minder. Sadly, he is overshadowed by his superior sibling Suicune in general OU play, placing him in the BL category. Too balanced to be in OU, and too many average stats to compete in UU, nonetheless he will make a decent special sweeper in BL. Anyway, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty, I explain everything about this Pokemon in the summary…

Ability: Pressure; Does it need any explanation? No? Bah, I’ll write it anyway. Any time Raikou is hit by a move, 2 PP are lost instead of 1. As a sweeper, he has little use for this, might I reference Weavile, but it can be useful against the big blob herself, Blissey.

"Calmkou" @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Shucka Berry/ Expert Belt/ Wise Glasses
Timid/Modest-Pressure
252 SATK/252 SPD/6 SDEF

~Thunderbolt/Thunder/Discharge
~HP Ice/ HP Grass/Shadow Ball/ Extrasensory
~Calm Mind
~ HP Ice/ HP Grass/Shadow Ball/ Extrasensory/Substitute

Ok, bear with me, his balanced stats allow a lot of options, so this description may take a while…
First of all, Thunder vs. Thunderbolt vs. Discharge. Thunder has the highest power, and %30 chance of Prlz, but a mere 70 accuracy, putting it as the WORST option in general. Though sweepers, especially speedy ones like him, don’t NEED Prlz, it could eventually work to set up a free Calm Mind or Sub. Thunderbolt is obviously the move of choice, having 95 power, but 100 accuracy. The biggest drawback of this, however, is that the chance of Prlz is only 10. Discharge has 100 accuracy, only 80 power, but retains Thunder’s %30 chance of Prlz. It is more of a novelty than anything else, however, seeing as Prlz isn’t necessary(see above).

The second slot will be your secondary offence, so HP Ice or Grass are ideal here. Ice effectively turns him into a Bolt-Beamer, but Grass is there to keep Swampert from laughing in your face, at the cost of an efficient Chomp counter. Though I’d LIKE to say “pick the one that best gells with your team,” it is one of the hardest Pokemon to catch, being untraceable, so it is hard to get one with a good nature, much less the IVs for a sufficient Hidden Power. So if you get one, stick with it. Shadow Ball in case you don’t want to spend days trying to get that HP, and Extrasensory if you are cheap and don’t want to buy the TM. Though Extrasensory has a chance to flinch, lowering the opponent’s SDef if just too good to pass up on a special sweeper. The only thing you need to be wary of is that using Shadow Ball may a lot the opponent a free switch-in to a Normal Poke. especially the dreaded Blissey.

Calm Mind is to boost his already respectable Special Stats, and is the foundation of this type of Raikou.
The last move should probably be Substitute. It’ll give you a wall so you can pull off a few Calm Minds, then begin the sweep. If you find your opponent primarily uses offensive moves, forbidding a Sub, you may want to get a 3rd attack. But Psy and Ghost really don’t do much the other can, seeing as if you have either HP, it’ll end up in the 1st slot. Another trick here is that EQ has 10 PP. If you manage to give Raiku an odd HP(Hit Points), you’ll be able to utilize Pressure and drain it severely. All you need is for it to have done 2 EQs beforehand, a task you shouldn’t find too difficult. After a while, they will probably catch onto your strategy, though, and use another attack. Just pray that the Sub isn’t busted, and keep Calm Minding.

Timid is preferred, allowing it to out speed a Timid Gengar, but if you have a Sub set up and a few Calm Minds under your..uh…belt, then it doesn’t fear Shadow Ball or Hypnosis. The EV spread is self –explanatory. Leftovers is obvious, and more useful with Substitute, but with EQ being its only weakness Shucka would be welcome. Life Orb is good on a sweeper, but the damage quickly stacks up with that, and especially Substitute. Expert Belt works excellently on a Bolt-Beamer, and Wise Glasses if you are a slave to Item Clause.

"Tankou" @ Leftovers/Shucka Berry/Chesto Berry
Modest/Timid-Pressure
252 HP/252 HP or SDEF/6 SDEF, or HP

~Substitue
~Rest
~Calm Mind
~Thunder/Thunderbolt/Discharge

Alright, this set is fantastic for utilizing Pressure.

Refer to the last set for the Thunder argument.

Calm Mind juices it up as a special wall, and with only 1 weakness it won’t be going down soon…baring EQ’s common presence.

Rest is its only form of recovery, so it is a must.

Sub gives it a wall between him and foes, allotting him some time to set up.

Leftovers is ideal. Refer to the latter about Shucka, and Chesto gives him 1 free Rest, allowing you to set up for more Calm Minds with less fear. But it is one-time-use, compared to Leftovers constant boost. Full speed is a must, being his greatest asset over other special walls, SDef if you suspect you’ll have less time to set up Calm Minds, but if you anticipate a drawn out battle, go for HP considering that it is the one stat that CAN’T be boosted. This set is just to surprise an opponent, seeing as the only things he has over Suicune is 1 less weakness, albeit more common, and a higher speed.

Countering Raikou: The hardest thing about countering him is that most people who use him have packed Hidden Power into his set. There is little that can beat a Bolt-Beamer with a few Calm Minds, but regardless of what set it is powerless against Blissey. Though she must be wary of the fact that Seismic Toss will be drained quickly, especially if he begins Substituting. Anything that can Roar or Whirlwind will totally wreck this Pokemon, but because it goes last all the time, make sure it can take a hit, or the next thing you know, you’ll have been swept.
See ya next time!

~By NiGHTS
NiGHTS
NiGHTS

Back to top Go down

Post by NiGHTS Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Name: Lickilicky
Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL] Dpmfa463
HP:110/ATK:85/DEF:95 /SATK:80/SDEF:95/SPD:50

Summary:
Holy crap, was that an intro? Yes, it was. I am back, and more irrelevant the ever Very Happy Anyway, I decided to do Lickilicky because he was my first “Idea.” Before my last move, I had minimal internet access, and only a Pokedex Game Guide to gawk at the splendid wonders Generation 4 brought. During this time, I formulated an idea for a Lickilicky that revolved around Gyro Ball, one that some people at Smogon figured out as well, apparently, but I’ll always look at it is my…perfection. Alright, enough senseless babble, Lickilicky is BL, and has high HP, and a versatile stat layout that complements its equally versatile movepool. But why talk about it all in the summary? Time to continue this rant into another paragraph…
Abilities: Own Tempo: is the one to pick, preventing Confusion. Parafusion is a common weapon in the BL/UU environment, and Lickilicky needs to be ready to scoff at it and blow that freaking Mime’s head off.
Oblivious: Prevents Infatuation through Attract and Cute Charm. Though there is no NU environment anymore, I think it is safe to say that this ability is reserved for taking on the weakest Pokemon you can imagine, but the second an attack gets through it’ll probably be over.

"Lickilicky" @ Macho Brace/ Iron Ball/ Leftovers/ Chesto Berry
Brave-Own Tempo
252 HP/252 ATK or DEF/6 ATK or DEF
~Gyro Ball
~Curse
~Hammer Arm/Earthquake
~ Explosion/Fling/Protect/Fire Blast/Rest
Gyro Ball is a must, it is the crux of this set. Curse, lowering speed 1 level and gaining attack 1 level is essentially a Swords Dance, but with a 12 limit instead of 6. Just think of the extra defense as a present to help his tanking power…
The 3rd slot will be your way to deal with the many types that resist Steel attacks. Most prefer Earthquake, though if you’re willing to trade a little accuracy, Hammer Arm will drop speed 1 level after use, basically giving Lickilicky a free attack boost. And, while I normally recommend the one with better accuracy, Lickilicky has the tanking power to miss an attack.
The last slot is…debatable. Lickilicky is the only one who get a STABd Explosion (well there’s Smeargle, but let’s pretend he doesn’t exist for a few more sentences), which runs of a huge power, perhaps a few Curses, and then halves the opponent’s defense. I think I can safely say that it will be able to OHKO anything that doesn’t resist it or is immune to it. Fling is an option if you plan on using this in the OU, and need a more effective way to take Pokemon like Dusknoir, whose low speed severely reduces Gyro Ball’s power and could burn you into a nightmare. Note: If you use Fling, you must have Iron Ball. Protect to scout out Choice Users, and maybe some free recovery, though it is discouraged unless you have Leftovers. Fire Blast is another choice if you plan on taking his tongue in the OU, lest you be walled by the likes of Skarm and Bronzong. Rest if an option to help tanking, though it would seem too much as a wanna-be Snorlax, and I already have a set for that purpose :p
Macho Brace is the one I have. I am not sure the difference of Speed drop between it and Iron Ball, but Smogon suggests Macho Brace as well… Iron Ball if you have Fling, Lefties if you want more of a tank, and Chesto if you add Rest to the set. The EVs I used are HP and ATK, but again, Defence if you’re going for a tank, or are convinced that you’ll run into some pretty gnarly sweepers.

"Choice Tongue" @ Choice Band
Adamant-Own Tempo
252 HP/252 ATK/ 4 DEF
~Body Slam
~Earthquake
~Fire Blast
~Explosion
What’s this? A Normal Pokemon with a Choice Item? Is it Tauros? No, not even close. Lickilicky isn’t even fit to lick the dirt off his hoof as a Choice Bander, but bringing Tauros into a BL/UU environment may give you a black eye, so keep it safe, and keep it pink.
The biggest problem as a Bander is, obviously, his awful speed, but a timely Paralysis via Body Slam will fix that as well as acting as his main STAB.
Earthquake to cover Rock/Steels/Ghosts, Hammer Arm without Gyro Ball is totally outclassed, so don’t try to pull it off :p
Fire Blast hits Skarm and Bronzong if you plan to use it in the OU, as well as any physical wall you find in BL/UU. The
A Choice Banded max ATK Explosion on an Adamant Pokemon that gets STAB on it is…wow. Just…wow.
The flaw to this set, obviously, is that big pain in the BL with, Mismagius, who has the Special Defense to handle Fire Blast, Levitate to handle Earthquake, and Ghost…liness to handle Body Slam and Explosion.
There is no reason that I should have to explain the EVs and Item/nature...I am sure you can figure it out :p
“Specslick” @ Choice Specs
Modest-Own Tempo
252 HP/ 252 SATK
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Beam
~Fire Blast
~Explosion
Ah, yes. What could attract women more than a large tongue with some sweet shade’s to match? Bolt-Beam is invincible, there is no Pokemon in the game that can resist both, so both are necessities. Fire Blast to hit Steels harder, and can OHKO Steelix, and Expolsion REGARDLESS or the Nature and EVs will hurt…a lot.
Countering Lickilicky: If you assumed that this could be narrowed down to a single Pokemon, you’re sadly mistaken. Its massive versatility enables it to take on ANYTHING, so be sure to tread lightly when fighting this force. When dealing with my own personal set, Skarm is effective, so it can take a few hits and whack it with a Whirlwind, though he should always live in fear of Fire Blast, seeing as Brave lowers Speed rather than Special Attack. Beyond that, however, Skarm isn’t allowed in BL/UU battles, so you may be stuck with a Hazer like Crobat. When dealing with a Choice abuser, try to get a Protect to see what they’ll do, then switch accordingly. Do your best to predict an Explosion, once he goes boom, there is little that stands in his way.
See ya next time!

~By NiGHTS
NiGHTS
NiGHTS

Back to top Go down

Post by NiGHTS Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:55 pm

Name: Drifblim
Pokemon of The Week [UNNOFICIAL] Image:426
HP:150/ATK:80/DEF:44 /SATK:90/SDEF:54/SPD:80

Summary:
Wait a sec…is it Friday already? No. But I am incredibly bored, so if I rant more than usual, that would be normal by my standards. Anyhow, Drifblim is a very unique Pokemon. But “unique” is where it starts and ends. Its amazing HP is spoiled by its awful defenses and only average attacking stats and speed. Though, to be honest, I am a sucker for unique Pokemon. Its exclusive Flying-Ghost types grant it incredible immunities, sadly this really only comes in handy against Pokemon with Mold Breaker, seeing as most Ghosts carry Levitate, so its Flying type becomes a burden…good thing it has Unburden or it would be UU :p Sadly these immunities for switching in are hindered by Stealth Rock, so combined it with a UU spinner lest it bite you in the blim.
Ability: Unburden: Drifblim/Drifloon are the sole carriers of this ability. It increases speed by 1.5 when you lose an item, but there is a catch. If you enter the battle without an item, it has no effect, so this speed boost is, sadly, removed when he leaves the battlefield.
Aftermath: A very rare ability. Though not exclusive, the only other evolution line that has it are the Skuntanks. Whenever a Pokemon with Aftermath is KOd with a physical move, the Pokemon that KOd it with said move looses ¼ of its max HP. Though it is unlikely that Drifblim will take them down to such a point, seeing as his main purpose is a minimal attack powered passer. Though that’ll make people think twice before KOing it…quite devilish indeed.

"Batonblimp" @ Leftovers
Calm-Aftermath
80 HP/252 SDEF/176 SPD
~Shadow Ball
~Baton Pass
~Substitute
~Hypnosis/ Calm Mind/ Stockpile
Ok, first of all, Shadow Ball might not be too powerful, seeing as it was only average to begin with, though you cannot allow a Taunter to puncture this Blimp, plus it helps whittle down physical threats for Aftermath to finish them off.
Baton Pass passes stat boosts/Subs, obviously, and with his massive HP the Subs will be virtually unbreakable.
Hypnosis lets you set up a Substitute and Pass it with minimal interference, though that means ALL your passing is a Sub. Calm Mind boosts its already average SAtk, helping it counter other stat boosters and Taunters, and Stockpile adds to BOTH defenses, letting it survive physical threats slightly easier, though the fact that you can only Stockpile 3 is a letdown. Plus, boosting defense is a little bit of an oxymoron with Aftermath.
The speed EVs let it out speed some of the UUs you’ll run into, and it’ll let you Baton Pass the heck out of there. Maximum Special Defense on a Calm Drifblim is a must, given his dim original stats, and extra HP just to give a little extra treat to the receiver of the pass. Leftovers will let it recover constantly, and give it up to 5 massive Subs while praying a Stone Edge will miss.

"BatonblimpThe2nd" @ Pinch Berry
Timid-Unburden
12 HP / 80 DEF / 216 SPA / 200 SPD
~Substitue
~Baton Pass
~Hypnosis
~Thunderbolt/ Shadow Ball
This one utilizes Unburden, though it is very predictable.
Sub until the Pinch Berry of choice activates, put them to sleep, then pass it on to the next Pokemon.
Petaya is ideal, because it then has the option to use the SATK boost and Shadow Ball/ Thunderbolt the idiot who broke your Subs, though any Berry works here. Once the Berry activates, though, Unburden skyrockets it Speed letting it either sweep the foe with Petaya or pass it to someone to sweep/wall them. In UU play, you can try passing a Lansat’s critical boost to a Drapion, and watch him Snipe out the foe’s team.
“Big Bad Blimp Bashing Bad Bums By Burning” @ Sitrus Berry
Timid-Unburden
252 SATK or HP/ 252 SPD/4 HP or SATK
~Shadow Ball
~Psychic/Thunderbolt
~Will-O-Wisp
~Destiny Bond/ Explosion
Ok, first of all, you gotta give me credit for the title.
This is more of a sweeper mentality, so hit them with one of you 2 offences.
Will-O-Wisp for those you cannot take down.
Once Sitrus activates, you can either explode or Destiny Bond, making sure you take out at least 1 foe, now that you can out speed them no matter what(Baring Scarf) thanks to Unburden.
Max speed is necessary no matter what you intend to do with it, special attack if you want it to be a threatening sweeper, and HP if you want Will-O-Wisp to be a bigger focus.
Countering Drifblim: Fire types do a great job of this, being immune to Will-O-Wisp, or Guts to take advantage of it, or Flash Fire so that even AFTER Unburden you’ll be able to halt the common Baton Pass. Something with Insomnia usually works, though some Hypno hate to be burned, or anything with Safeguard and Snatch.
See ya next time!

~By NiGHTS
NiGHTS
NiGHTS

Back to top Go down

Post by UntouchableJon Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:50 pm

Nice posts, I like eggs.
UntouchableJon
UntouchableJon

Back to top Go down

Post by Golem Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:29 am

I prefer to run shadowclaw on aimpibom, alows it to hit ghosties for nice damage. And TCoZ will tell you I like to use him =)
Golem
Golem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum